There’s really no better way to show confidence than to smile in the face of…well, anything! When you face adversity, challenges, that coworker or kid at school that is never in a good mood, your smile is your best weapon. There are so many benefits to smiling and now there’s research from the University of Missouri-Kansas City that adds to the list. Here’s what researches at UMKC and other academic institutions have determined:
- Smiling can make you look younger. In their study, college students perceived happy, smiling older people as looking younger than their age.
- Smiling can make you look thinner. What? Sign me up!!! The researchers flashed images of smiling people and of sad-faced people and the people with sad faces were perceived as being “heftier”.
- Smiling elevates your mood and creates a sense of well-being.
- Smiling induces more pleasure in the brain…even more than chocolate!
- Even a forced/fake smile can lead to a lift in your mood (hmmm…maybe this is a case for taking selfies?)
- Smiling gives people the impression that you are nice/courteous.
- The span of a person’s smile can predict lifespan. Yes! This is a great reason to have a Carlson Orthodontics Smile.
- Smiling is contagious…in a good way.You can read the entire research article in Psychology Today Magazine HERE.